Early Learning Program
Early Learning Program in Medicine Hat Public School Division (MHPSD): Our educational practices are shaped by a strong focus to create learning environments that honour the unique individuality of each child and nurture their growth in body, mind and spirit. Early Learning Program settings have been designed to include children with assessed developmental delays from 3 to 4 years old and play partners from 3 to 4 years old. Program Unit Funding (PUF) or mild to moderate support is available depending on your child’s assessed level of need. ELP is available in many of our Elementary Schools (see list below). We also provide early intervention supports within private preschools and child care centres.
Early Learning offers the following:
- Quality, early childhood education that supports healthy child development
- Play-based, active learning
- Integrated art, music, movement and sensory programming
- Diverse student population
- Family involvement opportunities
- Inclusion with school activities
- Ability to meet individual needs
- Literacy, numeracy, creativity and social-emotional skill development
- Involvement with school division and inter-agency supports
- Services may include: speech language pathologist supports, occupational/physical therapist support, Behavior and Emotional Support Team and transportation subsidy or support.
- Certified teachers and educational assistants
- Low child-to-adult ratios
- On-going professional development regarding special needs supports for staff and parents.
Annual Child Development Check-Up
April 7, 2022
10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
MHPSD Central Office – By Appointment
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book a FREE appointment
Speech and Language Assessments are completed by MHPSD after a speech and language screen has been completed. After April 7, 2022 contact Debbie Terlson at 403-528-6705 to make arrangements for a Screen and/or Assessment.
Click here for a List of ELP Programs
It is our intention to offer ELP in most of our elementary schools (see links below). If we do not have sufficient registration in your in area school we will offer you a placement in an alternative location. ELP is offered in the morning or the afternoon based on availability in each school.
The following schools offer Early Learning Programs:
- Crestwood School
- Dr. Roy Wilson Learning Centre
- Elm Street School
- George Davison School
- River Heights Elementary School
- Ross Glen Elementary School
- Southview Community School
- Vincent Massey School
- Webster Niblock School
Children zoned for Dr. Ken Sauer School will attend at Webster Niblock. Children zoned for Herald School will attend at River Heights School.