School bus transportation during the upcoming school year will be the most challenging place for us to support physical distancing and respiratory hygiene.
We encourage families, where possible, to drive children to school or have them walk/ride their bikes.
REGISTER TO RIDE
We will continue with rider registration for the 2021-2022 school year. Students that will ride the bus at any point during the year will only be permitted to ride the bus if they are registered.
In order to apply for 2021-22 school bus transportation please:
email: email@example.com; or
SCHOOL BUS TRANSPORTATION - COVID-19 GUIDELINES
- Students in ELP, K and grades 1-12 are required to wear a mask unless they have an exemption.
- Parents and children/students should not be in the pick-up area or enter the bus if they have symptoms of COVID-19. Drivers will be provided with a protective zone.
- Our service provider, Southland Transportation, will provide clear expectations to families around school bus behavior.
- Students will be assigned seats and a record of this seating plan will be maintained. Students who live in the same household may be seated together. Student rider attendance will be recorded.
- Schools will develop procedures for student loading, unloading and transfers that support physical distancing when possible.
- If a student becomes ill or presents COVID-19 symptoms en route to school, upon arrival, the student will move directly to the isolation space and arrangements will be made for pick up. If a child becomes symptomatic while waiting for the bus, unless the parent is present, no student will be denied access onto the bus.
- If a driver becomes aware of a child that is symptomatic after school, the child will not be permitted access onto the bus. The driver will communicate with the school to get the child home safely and as soon as possible.
- Busses will be sanitized after every trip to prepare for the next cohort.
The Board may provide transportation service for resident students in the following categories:
- Students within the school division boundaries who reside over 2.4km from their designated school.
- Grades K-6 students residing beyond 1.2km from their designated school.
School bus transportation is provided by our partners at Southland Transportation. If your child's bus is late or if you have questions about scheduling or routes please contact Southland Transportation at 403.526.4655.
Some students who have been permitted to ride in the past, but who do not qualify under provincial regulations or MHPSD policy, may not be permitted to continue to ride in the 2021-2022 school year. These measures will allow us to provide appropriate contact tracing if someone tests positive for COVID-19 and has used school bus transportation.
Medicine Hat Public School Division transports over 2,500 students including students with special needs. At this time there is no cost associated with accessing school bus registration, but all riders are required to register. Families are asked to view our attendance area maps and bus route maps to learn about pick up and drop locations and times. If your child requires special transportation (ex: wheelchair accessibility) please contact Robert Olson, Transportation Coordinator 403.528.6572.